Extended Diploma in Strategic Management & Leadership
Developing Strategic Management & Leadership Skills
Get assignment help for this at firstname.lastname@example.org
As part of the formal assessment for the Diploma in Strategic Management and Leadership programme you are required to submit an assignment for each module. Please refer to your Student Handbook for full details of the programme assessment scheme and general information on preparing and submitting assignments.
After completing the module you should be able to:
LO1- Understand the relationship between strategic management and strategic leadership.
LO2- Be able to apply management and leadership theory to support organizational direction.
LO3- Be able to assess leadership requirements.
LO4- Be able to plan the development of leadership skills.
Strategic leadership and strategic management,usually applied to senior staff in an organization and are often used as if the roles are one and the same.
- Explain and justify, applying relevant theory, whether you agree that the roles are the same or different. Analyse the impact that leadership and management has on strategic decisions[Assessment Criteria 1.1, 2]
- Evaluate how leadership should be adapted to the following situations:
(i) Slowdown in economic growth in the main markets for the organization.
(ii) Succession planning for a new leader. [Assessment Criteria 1.3]
(a) Indicate which geographic region of the world and industrial/public sector
your specific organization, division or department operates in: applying relevant theoryreview the specific cultural context that influences the leadership and management style in the organization.[Assessment Criteria 2.1]
- Bearing in mind the cultural context, you are tasked with a project to identify and evaluate a more suitable leadership and management style which will improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the organization. Again applying relevant theory, to support your arguments, suggest how the existing leadership and management style might be changed. [Assessment Criteria2.2]
(a) Analyse the current external influenceson your organization. Review the
impact of these influences and identify the skillsyour organizational leaders
should possess to successfully deal with these influences.[Assessment Criteria 3.1]
(b)In the next eight years what do you forecast which present influences may disappear and what new influences might become more important to you organization? What new skills will need to be possessed by strategic leadership to deal with these new Influences?[Assessment Criteria3.2]
(a). In Task 1 (b) (ii) It is foreseen that a new strategic leader will be required,
inthe next three to four years, for your organization. Develop a plan, which
includes selection criteria for a suitable candidate and three different
development processes (e.g. mentoring etc.) which you judge and justify,
would be appropriate.[Assessment Criteria4.1]
- Evaluate how your organization plans and develops strategic leaders whether formally or informally.
- Suggest and justify how you would improve the planning and development process of strategic leaders, whether it is informal or formal.[Assessment Criteria 4.2]
- You should write this assignment in report form by addressing each and every task in numerical order e.g. Task 1 (a), (b) etc
- You must ensure that the submitted assignment is all your own work and that all sources used are correctly attributed. Penalties apply to assignments which show evidence of academic unfair practice. (See the Student Handbook which is in the Induction Area). Please also refer to the ‘Guide to Unfair Practice in Assessment’ on the module page on ilearn.
- You MUST underpin your analysis and evaluation of the key issues with appropriate and wide ranging academic research and ensure this is referenced using the Harvard system. The ‘My Study Skills’ area contains the following useful resources; Study Skills Guide (containing a Harvard Referencing section) and a Harvard Referencing Interactive Tutorial. You must use the Harvard Referencing method in your assignment.
- You should use diagrams and tables of figures where appropriate ensuring to reference their source using the Harvard Referencing method.
- You are required to write your assignment within 4,000 words in order for your research and summarising skills to be developed, and for effective time management. You are required to ensure that the assignment addresses all of the assessment tasks. In the interests of good academic practice, an assignment submitted with excessive word counts (i.e. more than 10% in excess of the limit) will be returned to you. You will be given a maximum of 48 hours to edit the work to reduce the word count to the permitted maximum. In the event that the submission is still regarded as excessively long then, in line with advice received from Pearson, we will be unable to accept it for marking and you will receive a Refer grade for Non-Submission.
The word count excludes the title page, reference list and appendices. Where assessment questions have been reprinted from the assessment brief these will also be excluded from the word count. ALL other printed words ARE included in the word count. Printed words include those contained within charts and tables.
PLEASE ENSURE THAT YOU CHECK YOUR FINAL WORK AGAINST THE ASSESSMENT CRITERIA ON THE NEXT PAGE FOR COMPLETENESS – YOU MUST HAVE ADDRESSED EACH OF THE PASS ASSESSMENT CRITERIA TO ACHIEVE THE MODULE
For support with this assignment please contact your tutor Paul Wong.
Leadership Skills – Learning for life
Indicative resource materials
Gosling et al. – Key Concepts in Leadership (Sage 2012) London.
ISBN 978-1-84920-589-4 (pbk)
Adair J – Effective Leadership: How to be a Successful Leader (Pan 2009)
Adair J – How to Grow Leaders: The Seven Key Principles of Effective Leadership
Development (Kogan Page, 2009) 0749454806
Kouzes J M and Posner, B Z – The Leadership Challenge, 4th Edition (Jossey-Bass,
2008) ISBN 0787984922
Gold J, Thorpe R and Mumford A – Leadership and Management Development
(CIPD, 2010) ISBN 1843982447
Chopra D Leadershipand Management Development(Harmony Books 2010) New YorkeISBN 978-0-307-45172-9
Mendenhall et al. – Global Leadership 2nd Ed (Routledge 2013) London
(Access to this e-book is via Ebsco)
Mullins L J – Management and Organisational Behaviour, 9th Edition (Financial
Times/Prentice Hall, 2010) ISBN 0273724088
Journal of Leadership, Accountability & Ethics.2013, Vol. 10 Issue 5, p9-20.
Management Today (Haymarket Business Media)
People Management (Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development)
Professional Manager (Chartered Management Institute)
Learning Outcomes and Assessment Criteria
In order to pass this unit, the evidence that the learner presents for assessment needs to demonstrate that they can meet all the learning outcomes for the unit. The assessment criteria determine the standard required to achieve the unit.
On completion of this unit a learner should:
|Assessment Criteria for Pass
To achieve a pass you must meet all of the assessment criteria as stated below. Failure to cover all of the assessment criteria will result in a referral grade and you will be required to re-submit your assignment.
Further guidance on completion of your assignment can be found in the guidance notes which are posted on the group learning space by your module tutor. For additional support please post questions onto the group learning space, or email email@example.com
For tutor use
(you may wish to use this in your preparation for your assignment submission)
|LO1 Understand the relationship between strategic leadership and strategic management.
|1.1 Explain the link between strategic leadership and strategic management.
|1.2 Analyse the impact of management and leadership on strategic
|1.3 Evaluate how leadership styles can be adapted to different
|LO 2 Be able to apply leadership and management theory to support organizational strategy.|
|2.1Review the impact that selected theories of management
and leadership have on organizational strategy
|2.2Create a leadership strategy that supports organizational
|LO3 Be able to assess leadership requirements|
|3.1Use appropriate methods to review current leadership
|3.2 Plan for the future situations requiring leadership
|LO4 Be able to plan the development of leadership skills|
|4.1 Plan the development of leadership skills for a particular
|4.2 Report on the usefulness of methods to plan the
development of leadership skills