HOM Assignment Guidelines
- Definition of hospitality.
- Talk about the nature of different hospitality products-What is tangible? What is intangible?
- What are tangible and intangible products in your hotel?
- Talk about the SERVICE MIX. This is when customers always consume a mixture of products and services in the hospitality industry.
- Choose your hotel from HRMSI
- Talk about the hotel’s rooms, restaurant, bar, swimming pool, fitness and spa treatments.
- Talk about the hotel’s target markets.
- Talk about the demand in hospitality.
- Evaluate lifestyle groups-Have different needs and expectations and the hospitality industry will develop different products to meet the tastes of different groups.
- Expectations-Consumer’s expectations depends on the product.
- Social (economic)–It includes budget travellers, who have an average income with an average age. They prefer to stay in budget hotels.
- Tastes and trends-Different types of food
- Technology-Some people use an app on their mobile to order and pay for their food and drinks
- Define customer profiles.
- Compare different customer profiles and their differing expectations and requirements.
- All those habits could depend on different sizes of income, social class, psychographics, cultural influences and economic situation.
- Talk about the average spending power. What is the average spending power?
- Talk about multicultural issues-McDonald’s using standardised pricing, uniforms and recipes.
- Talk about legislation issues-Opening a franchise in England will take 1 month, just in time to do some food hygiene certificates and have permission from the council. However, The Middle East needs a local partner to open up a franchise.
- Provide a definition of product development.
- Talk about Kotler’s principal of products. It has 3 stages, these are;
- Core product-Basic level of selling products. Nice rooms and services in your hotel.
- Augmented products are the extra services provided to customers-spa treatment, gym, car park.
- Tangible products-physical products that can be touched (food, beds and tables).
- Talk about the process of product and service development.
- Idea generation-Entrepreneur coming up with a new idea without telling anyone.
- Idea screening-Take out ideas which are not very good and stick to the good ones.
- Concept development and testing.
- Marketing strategy
- Business analysis
- Product development
- Test marketing
- Talk about The SERVQUAL Model.
- Talk about the factors that can influence the customer’s perception of the products/services are:
- Talk about several factors can be considered when assessing the opportunities affecting product and service development in the hospitality industry.
- They include brand, nutrition and dietary requirements, disabled access and provision accommodation facilities.
- Talk about brand.
- Talk about brand equity. Talk about the advantages of brand equity.
- Dietary requirements in two hotels.
- What is the purpose of merchandising in the hospitality industry?
- Give examples of merchandising opportunities-Advertising in brochures, websites, posters, wall displays, table displays, menus, flyers, vouchers, clothing, free samples.
- You can use this quote ….Pricing is the amount of money charged for a product/service. It is the only marketing mix element that generates revenue (Kotler et al 2006).
- Say why pricing is important.
- Talk about the internal factors of pricing in hotels-The hotel must consider its objectives-maximisation of profits, achievement of target return on investment.
- Talk about external factors of pricing in hotels-If demand in the hotel is high, the price will be high.
- These are some examples of pricing methods. Or you could use the examples of pricing methods that Fidele has given you in class for Marketing in Hospitality.
- Skimming method
- Penetration pricing
- Psychological pricing
- Price Discrimination
- Definition of forecasting.
- Forecasting can be done for:
- Forecasting room availability
- Use RDOM calculations-Total number of guest rooms, forecasting no shows, forecasting understays.
- Definition of the performance appraisal.
- Talk about use of budgets.
- Analysing and evaluating data.
- Talk about ADR, Occupancy
- Talk about the 360 degrees feedback tool.
- What is the 360 degrees appraisal technique?
- What is qualitative data?
- What is quantitative data?