Level 5 15 Credits
You work for a training organisation. They are reviewing their range of ‘training packages’ and have asked you to help. One of their most popular courses is ‘Managing Workplace Communication’. The existing training package is out of date and you have been asked to rewrite it.
You will plan all materials for the training package. You will need to include a presentation with accompanying notes and have appropriate hand-outs and exemplar materials.
This training package will:
- apply theory to practice
- draw on your experiences of communication within organisations and/or use case studies as appropriate to exemplify practices
- show delegates how to review communication within an organisation, using your own exemplar material
At the end of the process you will also:
- reflect on own interpersonal communication skills
The first part of the training package will deal with how information and knowledge is communicated supported by examples, either from your own experiences or from case study material. Prepare a clear and informative presentation to enable delegates to understand how communication and knowledge is communicated within organisations and those factors that impact on workplace communication.
Presentation materials should be supported by notes as well as information sheets/hand-outs as appropriate.
You must cover the following topics:
- an analysis of key information and knowledge requirements for a range of stakeholders in different organisations
- an explanation of the systems used for communicating this information and knowledge
- an analysis of potential(and real) barriers to effective work place communication
- an evaluation of how communication is influenced by values and cultural factors
- an explanation of how technology can be used to benefit as well as hinder the communication process
- an explanation of how policies and procedures can impact on the communication processes.
Assessment Criteria 1.1/1.2/1.3/2.1/2.2/2.3
Delegates from the training should now be in a position to review communication within their own organisations. To enable them to do this you will need to provide exemplar material of a communication review/audit that you have carried out yourself within an organisation. Delegates will be able to use this as a template and model of good practice.
Produce a formal report in which you:
- provide the findings from your own communications audit
- apply theories of organisational communication
- create a plan which can be used to improve communications within the organisation
- identify measures to evaluate the success of the plan to improve workplace communications.
Assessment Criteria 4.1/4.2/4.3/4.4
You are aware that the ability to communicate effectively is a very important skill. You understand that promoting effective interpersonal communication is important in all aspects of life including the workplace. You decide to carry out your own personal audit.
You decide to:
- evaluate the effectiveness of own communication skills
- apply theories of interpersonal communication to yourself
- request feedback from others
- plan own personal development to improve communication skills based on this feedback.
Provide all information as a detailed log.
Assessment Criteria 3.1/3.2/3.3/3.4
Guidelines for assessors
The assignments submitted by learners must achieve the learning outcomes and meet the standards specified by the assessment criteria for the unit. The suggested evidence listed below is how learners can demonstrate that they have met the required standards.
|Activity number||ACs||Suggested evidence|
|1||1.1/1.2/1.3/2.1/2.2/2.3||Learners must demonstrate they have a good understanding of workplace communication. They will have considered a broad range of stakeholders and a range of different organisations. The material must demonstrate learners’ understanding of the role and importance of systems in achieving organisational communication and the potential barriers as well as an understanding of a range of factors affecting workplace communication. The factors considered may be drawn from the learner’s personal experiences gained in the workplace or the experience of others.
The material provided should draw on personal experiences and or case studies, demonstrating analysis and explanation of relevant factors.
Materials prepared by the learner must be detailed with appropriate format, style and content for the identified audience.
|2||4.1/4.2/4.3/4.4||The report should be structured in a formal way with clear layout and appropriate presentation. Learners will need to identify how and where they carried out their communication audit. A wide range of communication theories should be applied. Learners should include a detailed plan with appropriate sections including actions to be taken, timescales, responsibilities in order to improve communication in their chosen organisation. In addition there should be SMART measures to evaluate its success.
The report should be comprehensive and appropriate for the demands of Level 5 work.
|3||3.1/3.2/3.3/3.4||The format of activity 3 is flexible. Learners must however formally carry out their own evaluation, ask for feedback from others and create a realistic and considered personal development plan. Knowledge of theories of interpersonal communication must be demonstrated and appropriate to Level 5 work.|