Initial Proposal Assignment
HOLMES INSTITUTE FACULTY OF HIGHER EDUCATION HI6007 Assessment Three FINAL Research Proposal Due Friday Week 12, 2500 words worth 30%
The FINAL research proposal will consist of the following NINE (9) items:
1. A business research topic. Strengthen and improve initial proposal.
2. A brief literature review of the research topic. Produce 2 to 3 pages on background information on your research topic.
3. Research questions for the identified problem or opportunity. Strengthen and improve initial proposal.
4. Appropriate research methodologies and techniques to use for the research project. Strengthen and improve initial proposal
5. A project plan using a Gantt chart and clearly defined milestones (if in a group with clearly defined individual tasks, contributions and milestones). Use Microsoft Project or other software to produce the Gantt chart. Your milestones for HI6008, for example, are:
Week 6: Literature Review due.
Week 10: Data Collection and Analysis Report due.
Week 14: Final Business Research (Capstone) Thesis due.
6. Description of the research process. Strengthen and improve initial proposal.
7. Description of data collection and analysis methods. Strengthen and improve initial proposal.
8. Description of expected research outcomes. Strengthen and improve initial proposal.
9. A completed Ethics Checklist. Complete and sign ethics checklist below and attach with FINAL research project proposal.
All students will need to pass the final research proposal submitted in week 12 to be able to start the capstone research proposal in HI6008 the following semester. Submit hard copy of FINAL research report to Holmes by 4pm on Friday of Week 13.
ETHICS CHECKLIST FOR STUDENT RESEARCHERS
This checklist is designed to alert you to your ethical obligations when you conduct research involving human subjects. These questions must be answered when a research project is proposed and before a research project is implemented. Attach the completed checklist to your final research proposal in week 12.
Student Name and ID: _______________________________________
Title of the Project: ____________________________________________________________________
Please circle your answers:
1) Will the human subjects be informed of the nature of their involvement in the collection
of data and of features of the research that reasonably might be expected to influence
willingness to participate? Yes No
2) Will the human subjects be told that they can discontinue their participation at any time? Yes No
3) Will the human subjects in your study be aware that they are the targets of research? Yes No
4) If the subjects are underage, will their guardians be asked to sign the consent form? Yes No N/A
5) Is the confidentiality of the human subject’s identity positively ensured? Yes No
6) In cases where there is a possibility that the human subject’s identity can be deduced by Yes No someone other than the researcher, is the subject’s right to withdraw his/her data respected?
7) Will the researcher fulfil all the promises made to the human subjects including providing Yes No the summary of the findings upon request?
8) Will all necessary measures be taken to protect the physical safety of Yes No the human subjects from dangers such as faulty electrical equipment, poor grounding, lack of oxygen, falls, traffic & industrial accidents, possibility of hearing or vision loss etc.?
9) Will the human subject be debriefed (told the true nature of the study) after Yes No the data has been collected?
10) In cases in which the human subject is dissatisfied or a complaint about the researcher or Yes No procedure, will the researcher explain to the human subject that he or she may express this complaint to the Subject Coordinator?
11) Does the study involve concealment from and/or deception of the human subject? Yes No
12) Will deception be used in order to obtain agreement to participate?
13) Will the study involve human subjects who are legally or otherwise not in a position to Yes No
give their valid consent to participate such as children, prison inmates, mental patients? Yes No
14) Will information on your human subjects be obtained from third parties? Yes No
15) Will any coercion be exerted upon subjects to participate? Yes No
16) Will the study involve physical stress to the human subjects such as might result from heat, noise, electric shock, pain, sleep loss, deprivation of food and drink, drugs, alcohol? Yes No
17) Will the study cause any mental discomfort to the human subjects such as fear, anxiety, loss of self-esteem, shame, guilt, embarrassment etc.? Yes No
18) Could publication of the research results possibly interfere with strict confidentiality?
19) Could publication of the research results possibly harm the human subject – Yes No
either directly or through identification with his/her membership group? Yes No
20) Are there other aspects of the study that may interfere with the protection of the wellbeing of the human subjects? Yes No
If you have selected NO for any of the questions 1 to 10 and/or you have selected YES for any of the questions 11 o 20, please provide comments to clarify your choice (use additional pages if necessary).
Signature of the Student Researcher:
APPROVED: _______________________________________ Date: ___________________________ Signature of Subject Coordinator