Personal management skills
Assessment 2 – Major Essay (40%)
Becoming a global manager – Personal management skills analysis and plan
In this assignment you are asked to evaluate your managerial skills and create a plan for developing them in the future, in an essay format.
School of Business & Law
Weighting This assignment accounts for 40% of the assessment in this unit.
Date/Week 20 March 2017
Time Midnight on due date
Place Blackboard via Turnitin
Format Essay of 2750 words (plus or minus 10% is generally considered acceptable in academic work). Please indicate the word count on the first page of your assignment.
Learning Outcomes and Graduate Attributes Completing this assignment will help you:
• develop and communicate your understanding of your knowledge and skills for managing; and
• develop strategies for improving your managerial knowledge and skills, including indigenous
cultural competence where relevant.
It will also help you develop the ECU Graduate Attributes:
• ability to communicate clearly and effectively
• ability to think critically
• ability to generate ideas
• mindset that is both cross-cultural and international in outlook.
Before starting, you should make sure you understand the difference between this and other assignments. The focus here is on assessing your skills and competencies for managing and planning to develop them in the future. This requires understanding what management involves (how it is defined and understood in academic writing), what you currently think of your skills and abilities, and how you could develop them in the future.
In a critical essay you are asked to present your viewpoint and to argue for it. This means giving evidence or justification for your conclusions (in this case your plan), and being clear where the evidence or arguments are uncertain or raise further questions.
NOTE: You should draw on learning from the text and class activities, discussions with others, and relevant academic references.
Include the following sections:
1. 1) An introduction stating the structure of your essay (about 300 words).
2. 2) A brief review of relevant literature to show your understanding of global management capabilities
(hard and soft skills); the Big 5 personality factors (broad and then focus more on 1 factor) and then summarise (about 1,000 words citing at least 10 non-textbook references, in addition to the textbook).
I am an extrovert. So please write about extroversion
3. 3) An evaluation of how your personality impacts on your global management capabilities for managing yourself and others (about 600 words), including at least the Big 5 and 2 other skill questionnaires/quizzes. Learning Styles Preference: I scored high on pragmatist/ Behavior Assessment In Conflict Situation test I scored high on compromising mode.
Think critically about the results. Detailed results can go in an Appendix.
4. 4) A plan in which you specify your goals (consider using the SMART goals or another framework as a guide), skills or competences you will focus on, how and when you will learn them, and how you will know you have learned them (about 650 words)
5. 5) A conclusion (about 200 words).
6. 6) A reference list (not included in word count).
7. 7) Any appendices (not included in word count).
Present your essay professionally – how you express yourself on paper reflects your self-image as a manager. NOTE: There is no ‘safe level’ of similarity score when submitting through TURNITIN.
The essay format should follow that of the guide/exemplar provided on Blackboard and the structure should have a logical order that is outlined in the Introduction.
Check Previous Post Blog: MN621 -Advanced Network Design